This post is in partnership with Powell & Mahoney Craft Cocktail Mixers, but opinions are 100% my own.
Baby, it’s cold outside. Now, I know that the cold that we experience here on the coast of Georgia is super mild in comparison with what a lot of you experience, but we have had some unseasonably cold weather this past week. I found myself breaking out the scarves and my Uggs. While, I am hoping that I can bring the flip flops back again soon, in the meantime, I will enjoy this little cozy, cold snap.
This is the perfect weather for a hot toddy, the classic winter warm-up cocktail. The hot toddy is an age-old drink with a formula that goes a little something like this: spirits, water, sweet and spice. There are infinite versions of this classic. You can experiment by using whiskey, bourbon, or brandy. Some recipes even use wine or ciders. The sweet ingredients can be anything from fruit juices or simple syrup to honey or agave nectar. Classic spices used are cinnamon, ginger, cloves or anise.
If you love citrus and spice with your spirits, then you are going to love this Ginger Citrus Hot Toddy. It’s made with Powell & Mahoney’s dreamy Old Ballycastle Ginger Mixer. It’s a rich, spicy taste that blends so perfectly with January’s bounty of fresh citrus.
To replicate my Ginger Citrus Hot Toddy, first, warm up your mugs with hot water. This is will ensure that your toddy stays nice and hot. Next, grab a small saucepan and combine 4 ounces of Powell & Mahoney’s Old Ballycastle Ginger Mixer, 3 ounces of fresh squeezed orange juice, 1 ounce of fresh squeezed lemon juice, a tablespoon of honey and 2 ounces of water. Bring this mixture just to a simmer and then add in 2 ounces of golden rum and 2 ounces of brandy. Give it a stir and then pour the goodness into your mugs. Squeeze a bit of lime over each mug. Then garnish each toddy with a slice of lime. This recipe makes two generous hot toddies.
This drink is sure to warm you up, inside and out!
- 4 ounces Powell & Mahoney Old Ballycastle Ginger Mixer
- 3 ounces fresh orange juice
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- 1 TBSP honey
- 2 ounces water
- 2 ounces golden rum
- 2 ounces brandy
- fresh lime for squeezing and garnish
- Warm mugs with hot water.
- In a small saucepan and combine 4 ounces of Powell & Mahoney’s Old Ballycastle Ginger Mixer, 3 ounces of fresh squeezed orange juice, 1 ounce of fresh squeezed lemon juice, a tablespoon of honey and 2 ounces of water.
- Bring mixture just to a simmer.
- Add in 2 ounces of golden rum and 2 ounces of brandy. Give it a stir.
- Divide mixture between two mugs. Squeeze lime over each toddy.
- Garnish each with a slice of lime.
Linens by: Dot & Army